Getting my foot in the door
I’d like to share my story about how I landed a position running several social media feeds, including:
Last year I decided to book myself in for a facial and massage at a reputable day spa in Camden, called Eden Spa. After speaking to the Spa owner, Ash, a longtime friend, and associate of my mum, an opportunity for myself was born! Since taking on the role of online communications coordination, my now boss Ash has established a new business in brand consulting and online business courses, where I have taken on a new role, as well as expand on my current. This role consists of content creation and curation for social media, scheduling and strategizing posts to align with goals and objectives, development of direct email messages, blog posting, website development and management of online interaction and rapport building.
Expanding in my field/practice
Fortunately, I am in a field that is currently growing at an exponential rate. Ways I can grow and expand upon my skill set in this field include:
- Opening my doors and networking – keeping my name relevant to other links.
- Curating my own feeds – keeping a strong online presence of my own to build up my online portfolio.
- Researching the ‘in’s and outs’ of this field – where it’s growing, ways to strategise, setting achievable goals, discovering innovative content, platforms and so on.
- Work on maintaining myself as employable.
- If all else fails, I can freelance. I have the skills behind me to establish social media platforms from the ground up. I would love to work with small businesses and teach them the basics, along with measuring the analytics and results of their new content.
- Keeping up to date with concepts, trends and influencers.
- Taking initiative to attend courses, seminars and classes in relation to my field of practice, to develop my knowledge.
People with a great influence in my life
My boss, Ash: Ash is already a mentor in my life. Ash has been a professional mentor as well as someone who is a great colleague. She has taught me a huge amount of skills that I have taken on board in my job. I am SO grateful for her putting her trust in me and taking me on board.